Unit Theme: Innocence and Experience
Weeks 11-12 Focus: Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry
- (Fiction): Pick three (3) stories from the fiction section in “Innocence and Experience” (LHE 80-128). This could include Hua’s “Appendix” (LHE 299-304) and Xue’s “Hut on the Mountain” (LHE 304-7).
- (Nonfiction): Pick two (2) essays from the essays section in “Innocence and Experience” (LHE 280-97).
- (Poetry): Pick eight (8) poems from the poetry section in “Innocence and Experience” (LHE 129-59). This could include Lim’s “Father from Asia” (LHE 308).
Thus far in the semester, I’ve allowed you to choose a portion of the unit reading, but for this section of the course, I’m allowing you to create your own reading list, per the following guidelines:
- Review the items added to the class’s supplemental texts spreadsheet.
- Record two entries in your Reading Notebook.
- Search the internet for an online resource that supplements one of the texts from this week’s reading (see my list of supplemental texts for examples of what you might find). Once you’ve found your resource, paste a link in this shared Google spreadsheet. Be sure to fill in all the information asked for in the sheet.
- By Sunday (11/16): Complete the “Why Literature Matters Twitter Essay” assignment.
- Initial post by noon Wednesday (11/12), three peer responses by Sunday (11/16): Participate in the Defining Innocence and Experience G+ Discussion.
- Initial post by noon Thursday (11/12), three peer responses by Sunday (11/16): Participate in the Treating Innocence and Experience G+ Discussion.
*Unless otherwise noted, assignments are due by midnight of the date posted.